Thursday, March 23, 2006
sassanator (sass-uh-nah-ter)
Our Paw Paw was one of the most fascinating men I have ever met and probably will ever meet. He traveled the globe working on the oil rigs and being a soldier in WWII. Our precious Paw Paw, James Lovey Arnold, died early this morning at 2 am. The funny thing about that time is that the other day he told his sister, Ruby, that he was going to be discharged at 2. My grandfather lived an incredible life. He loved horses and was wonderful at training them. He was a fantastic farmer that could grow just about anything. I will miss our walks out to the garden to taste test the peppers, cucumbers, radishes and whatever else he was growing. My favorite crop were the blueberries. They were simply the best berry you ever put in your mouth. This past summer Paw Paw decided that he needed a Massey Ferguson tractor with a front end loader. Well I am sure that there are many uses for this sap-sucker, but Sam and I got to find out a new one. Paw Paw was a very efficient and thorough man. When we picked berries we had to get them all. So because the bushes were too tall he hopped on the tractor and told Sam and I to get in the bucket. He lifted us up so we could get the top berries before the birds did. Top berries taste a little better when picked from a Massey Ferguson. We laughed and so did he. There are so many things that we will all miss about him. Right now I think of the things he would say to us. sassanator. As in don't let that sassanator get away from you. sap-sucker, could be used in the same way. We were constantly having to "put up our dukes" and dodging him getting the pavern out of our ears. OOO WE was another favorite when hugging. And we were always making somebody jealous. I am sure there are a million other things that I will be reminded of over the next few days but tonight I will leave you with the last glimpse I had of my precious Paw Paw as he floated in and out last night. Heeey. Our greeting for everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Mere, I think it's get the paraffin out of your ears. Paraffin is wax used in cooking.
love, B
This note makes me see how wonderful a blog can be. I am so glad you were there with him and me that last evening. It was such a blessing when you walked in. He was struggling. He was so strong and so determined to get out of bed, which he could not do and we could not help him do at that point. Barbara said she was on the phone (it was on the bed) when you walked in. When she heard you were there, she hung up because she knew I had help. (I had called her to try to help me distract him. It didn't work, so I threw the phone on the bed and tried to help Pawpaw get comfortable.)
Thank you, Lord, for Meredith.
Thank goodness you got Pawpaw's attention and got two "ha-eees." It is wonderful to share memories as we miss him and rejoice that he is no longer in pain. It is so hard to feel 2 opposite strong emotions at once. Super sad for us;happy for him.
Post a Comment