Today was field trip day for my class. We went with one other 5th grade class to the Natural Museum of Science. When I first announced this trip to the class, my announcement was followed by graons of "Ugh! We go there every year!" "I hate that place!" and "Why can't we ever do anything cool?!!" These are a few of my favs. It is so rewarding when you think you are doing something nice and it is shot down before the words are really out of your mouth. Kind of like "the words will still hanging in the air, like a cartoon bubble." *when harry met sally* Well 26 out of my 27 precious pups signed up. This morning I was excited about going but incredibly anxious. It is my first trip in Brandon and I had several parents meeting us there. I put my kids into groups with each of the chaperones. I kept the challenges and some sweet ones for myself. When I let the go and explore you would have thought that they were looking for gold. 3 of my kids were pulling me around the museum begging me to look at this or that. It was unbelievable.
For the next part of our trip we went outside to the little ponds. We had some wonderful people talk about wetlands. The kids were able to collect samples from the ponds and look for small animals. This process involved scooping up mud from the bottom of the pond then digging in it with their little hands. It seemed like some of my kids were scared to gets their hands dirty. They finally gave in and got dirty. They found little crawfish and lots of worms.
After all the digging they got to play on the playground. It was so much fun to watch them be kids. I am amazed that in this world they still love to play imaginary games. Sometimes they seem way too grown up for that. I was so glad that my kids were able to kick back and enjoy being 10.
Disaster hit on the way home. I believe that one of my kids has a very sensitive gag reflex. She is constantly "throwing up." So of course there she blows all over the seat. And since I am the adult on the trip I get to clean it up. I will not describe what it looked like but I almost lost it myself twice. The worst part is when I thought that I was finished with my grown up duty I noticed that there was some dripping to the floor. Yep, still in the seat!!! Ahhh. Back for more clean up.
We all made it home safe and sound. I slept very. Pure exhaustion but loved almost every minute.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment