Thursday, January 19, 2006

The other side of the world...

There are just some things that I need to write down. This just seems like the perfect place. I teach 6th grade science in a public school not far from Jackson. Well I think where I am is a big black hole. I am not sure how my students got so far behind, but I am at a loss for how to catch them up. I have been teaching about continental drift. This can be interesting. But we first have to get through the basics. We have been using a big world map, the one where is is the globe flattened out so you can see everything. In every class I have had 1 person ask "What is on the other side of the world?" To them this is logical. They want to know what on the back of the map. We stop to look at the globe and talk about the Earth being round. I never imagined. Then I was asking questions about what is in the middle of the Earth. One young lady confindently yelled out "Clouds!" My students are 1 of a kind. Laughter gets me through the days. I can count on them to open my eyes to the job that lays before educators. Oh what a job it is.

No comments: